Written by: Haneen
As we embark on a new year, I wish you and your loved ones a blessed year. May God shower you and your loved ones with prosperity, success, and happiness!
I was recently looking at the ingredients in my skincare products and realized the hefty price tag comes with a long list of chemicals I would never orally consume. Yet I’ve been consuming these chemicals topically through my skincare regime.
Making it a resolution to use more natural skincare, I experimented with a natural toner using three simple ingredients–apple cider vinegar, witch hazel, and aloe vera gel. Within a few days, I began seeing dramatic improvements in my skin texture, skin tone, and overall appearance!
Apple cider vinegar:
ACV contains AHA, Alpha hydroxy acid. AHA is a naturally occurring ingredient commonly added to skincare products due to its exfoliating and skin-rejuvenating properties. Apple cider vinegar helps reduce age spots and fight wrinkles by removing dead skin cells and improving skin cell turnover. Malic acid, an AHA found in apples, makes apple cider vinegar an antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral agent. Consequently, ACV works wonders in fighting pimples, acne, and blemishes! 
Witch hazel extract:
Witch hazel extract is a natural astringent derived from witch hazel plants. As an astringent, witch hazel extract constricts body tissues, resulting in reduced inflammation due to acne and significantly shrunken pores. 
Aloe vera gel:
Aloe vera contains over 70 active compounds including many vitamins, enzymes, and acids. These ingredients are key to fighting inflammation, act as potent antibacterial agents, and aid with wound healing. These properties make aloe vera gel a wonderful addition to the skincare regime of anyone dealing with skin problems or simply anyone passionate about skincare. 
Now, on to the recipe!
- ¼ cup raw unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with the Mother (the Mother contains the beneficial acids in vinegar)
- ¼ cup alcohol-free witch hazel extract
- ¼ cup aloe vera gel
Mix ingredients, place in a small, re-sealable container, and seal. Make a new batch once every two weeks.
- Wash face using regular cleanser and pat dry using a towel.
- Shake toner well before use.
- Dampen cotton pad with toner and gently wipe face. (Avoid eye area. Use once or twice daily depending on skin sensitivity.)
- I am not an experienced dermatologist. Information shared is based on personal experience and scientific knowledge only.
- Conduct a patch test prior to continuous usage.
- Discontinue usage and consult a medical professional if skin irritation occurs.
I hope you enjoyed the first of many health and wellness posts. I look forward to you trying this toner and sharing your feedback and experiences!
Finally, always remember that healthy is beautiful!
Stay healthy, stay beautiful.